Consolidation, structural restoration and Roof of the Convent of Santa Anna in Alcover
Developer: City Council of Alcover
Project Manager: Mr. Joan Figuerola Mestre, Mr. Joan Gavaldà Bordes and Mr. Jordi Romera Cid
Start date: March 2010
End date: July 2011
This project is the first stage of the Master Plan, and different works for the structural and roof consolidation and renovation have been carried out in the Convent de Santa Anna. This is one of the most important historical buildings in Alcover and a unique example of an ancient Convent in the outskirts of a city, in Tarragona. It is considered a Cultural Feature of National Interest.
The complex was in a precarious state and required an emergency intervention in order to stop its progressive deterioration.
The work allowed the recovery of the overall volumetric, as well as a deepening into the history of the convent and the extension of construction and archaeological evidence of a building of great historical and architectural value.
The rehabilitation consisted of:
- Previous clearing of vegetation, waste removal and temporary bracing of the ceilings for safety.
- Removal of the roofs, support structure and dilapidated ceilings allowing the recovery of material that could be reused.
- Consolidation and renovation of
- Construction of new flooring and staircaseswhichallow access from and to floors.
- Recovery of roofs, eaves and ledges maintenance as well as of canals and drainpipes.