Restauration of Ca Tatxó d’Alcover
Developer: City Council de Alcover
Project Manager: Mr Joan FiguerolaMestre, Sr. Joan GavaldàBordes and Mr Jordi Cid Romera
Start date: March 2010
End date: July 2011
This project conducts the recovery of the ancient medieval tower and the following actions were taken: :
- Dismantling of the added building facing the square of the Church using archaeological monitoring in order to elevate the attributed value of the remains of the foundations of the wall which had been previously demolished .
- Research and preservation of the remains of medieval walls of the tower.
- Preservationof the floor of the tower with the introduction of new metal stairs to all floors following the direction of the floor beams; as well as the maintenance of the openings in the two facades.
- Complete composition of the south wall of the tower, keeping the original openings and revealing the medieval wall remains of the foundations..
- Construction of the walkway through the inside of the tower, in order to approach the tower to pedestrians with asteep cantilevered walkway linking the grade of the streets on both sides of the tower.
- The upper floors have restricted access and are keptfor maintenance and observation of the medieval remains.
- Constructionof the structural system using wooden beam ceilings and ceramic filler blocks. Preservation of the existing wooden ceilings in good condition. The roof is flat and inverted. Strengthening of the original faces and use of steel beams so toconsolidate the building after it was resized.